Can’t Afford Granite Countertops? Engineered Stone Countertops Are A Great Option

While everyone would want to have granite countertops and other natural stone countertop materials in their homes, not everyone can afford them. Are you one of these people?

Don’t fret as there are plenty of other cost-effective alternatives you can go with when you are operating on a budget. The best options to go with are engineered stone countertops.

Why engineered stone?

Engineered stone comes with plenty of attractive features that include:


The stone is made from quartz material that has been compressed into slabs that have similar color and texture to natural granite and slate. As a result, your entire kitchen matches perfectly.

The stone also comes with a variety of colors, such as: rose, grays, and many others. While most of the colors come from the natural color in quartz, you can talk to your designer and add colorants that give you a customized color.

Cleaning the surfaces is easy.

While natural stone countertops are beautiful and high end, the downside is they are porous. This leaves room for bacteria to get into fissures and pores where they are hard to get rid of.

Quartz countertop surfaces are non-porous so they won’t absorb liquids, which makes them easy to clean. If you work with fish, meat, raw vegetables, and other materials are known to make the countertops dirty, engineered stone is a great asset.

You have plenty of options

The countertops come in a wide range of colors and style that gives rise to plenty of countertops. They include:


Silestone is made up of 94% quartz known to be extremely hard and resilient. Since the material is impervious to staining, acids, and scratches, Silestone is loved by many people looking for an alternative material. The cool thing is that it comes in plenty of colors with extraordinary textures.


It’s made up of 95% quartz particles, with the other 5% comprising of polymer resins and coloring. Since quartz is hard enough, it’s highly durable and scratch and stain-resistant. This makes Caesarstone an excellent option for kitchen countertops.


Another hard stone made up of 95% natural quartz. The stone is completely non-porous and homogenous and has a low maintenance finish that is resistant to scratches, heat, knocks, chemicals, and staining.

It comes in a variety of color palettes ranging from solids to patterns.


Smartstone comes in twenty-four designs with four color collections, and it’s made up of 93% quartz. First established in 2002, it comprises some of the quartz’s best surfaces. Smartstone comes with several attractive features such as high resistance to heat, chemicals, and staining.

These features make the stone an ideal material for bathrooms and kitchens.

Quantum quartz

Quantum Quartz is made up of 93% natural quartz, and the other 7% is made up of bonding agents and pigments. Quantum Quartz is low maintenance and ultra-hygienic, making it an ideal material for kitchen benchtops.

You can also use it in bathrooms and on the floor in the form of tiles.

What are the major flaws of engineered stone?

While engineered stone comes with all of the above advantages, it comes with its fair share of negatives. One of the negatives is that it’s hard to create curves with engineered stone. You should note that this doesn’t mean it’s impossible to create the designs. You can do the designs, but it will take a long time.

When you are hiring a contractor to do the work, it will cost you a lot of money to complete the work.

Taking care of engineered stone

While the stone is easy to maintain, you still need to take good care of it. Some of the ways of doing it include:

Clean it regularly: The beauty of it is that it’s easy to clean the countertops as they are non-porous. Use regular soap and a piece of cloth to clean the surfaces. Like when cleaning granite and other natural stone countertops, avoid harsh cleaning products as they will etch the surfaces.

You also should avoid placing a lot of pressure on the countertops. While the stone is strong, quartz countertop contractors Potomac advise against hitting the surfaces with a hard object as it can break the countertops. You also should avoid sitting on the edges where the countertops are known to be weak.



Why You Should Choose Quartz Kitchen Countertops

Kitchen countertops have become a normal part of a lot of households around the world. Among popular ones include laminates, marble, concrete, and granite. Nowadays, quartz kitchen countertops are slowly paving its way into the minds of many homeowners as well.

Quartz countertops began gaining popularity in Europe decades ago. Years after, this countertop material eventually reached US shores. In fact, quartz kitchen tops enjoyed as much as 60 percent of total US sales back in 2004.

Quartz is either made from natural stone or engineered slab material. Nonetheless, both options offer high-quality and long-lasting countertop material. That said, quartz is a great addition and a worthwhile investment to your home. Here are some things you need to know when you decide to avail this type of countertop.

The beauty of quartz

Normally, a quartz countertop is made from natural stone slabs. However, there are some that are made from engineered material. These engineered stone countertops have a combination of natural quartz and a small percentage of resins. The end result is a natural-looking, low-maintenance, and durable stone countertop available in different color and design options.

That said, engineered quartz offer more different design and color options than natural stone. Generally, quartz is also easy to install – you can use epoxy or glue instead of screws to hold it in place. Aside from kitchens, quartz can also be used as backsplashes and in the shower room. However, make sure to have it installed only by a professional quartz countertop installer.

Overall benefits

A lot of homeowners love the different colors they can choose from quartz material. More than color options, quartz is also durable and non-porous, hence making it an ideal kitchen countertop. No matter whether it’s natural or engineered/mixed, these countertops offer a similar level of quality that is worth the price.

In addition, quartz is stain and corrosion-resistant as well as easy to maintain. On the downside, it may be more vulnerable to excessive heat, so it may be advisable to use heating pads to protect the countertop surface.

As for the cost, these types of countertops become cheaper as they become more popular over the years. However, quartz may be more expensive than other countertop materials such as laminate. Nonetheless, quartz – whether natural or engineered – offers high-quality and value for your home.

Other perks

Among other benefits to take note of when you’re contemplating to buy a quartz countertop include the following:

  1. High resale value

Quality countertops such as made from quartz enhance your home’s resale value. This is due to the beauty and quality quartz material can provide at a lower cost. That said, quartz countertops can make your home look elegant and classy at an affordable price.

  1. Versatile

Quartz is either made from natural stone slabs or a mix of natural quartz and polyester resins. Some are even made with a mix of recycled glass instead of resins, giving it a unique appeal. Plus, it is available in different color options you can choose from. It can complement all types of home – whether yours have a contemporary or modern theme.

  1. Durable and easy to maintain

Unlike other countertop materials, quartz is stain-resistant and non-porous, making it easy maintenance. You don’t have to worry if your child spills his or her drink too often – simply wipe it clean using a microfiber or paper towel, water, and mild soap and you’re done!

  1. Hygienic

As mentioned, quartz is a non-porous material that makes cleaning a breeze. It also lessens the risk of contamination against bacteria and dirt during food preparation. Quartz is also easier to clean than other natural stone materials. Hence, quartz kitchen countertops are indeed the best material you can ever have in your home.

Find high-quality countertops from the best suppliers near you

Given the above benefits of quartz, you should have already realized how this can be a great investment for your home. It may be expensive for some homeowners, but its perks will all be worth it. After all, who doesn’t want only the best accessories and materials for their respective homes?

If you want to have your own quartz countertop for your home, make sure to find the best quartz countertop contractors in Rockville. You will surely love the results once you have your new countertop installed!