Granite Vs Quartz Counter top: What’s your choice

Granite and quartz countertops are almost the same, and the debate about which is better than the other continues to rage on. Although it’s hard to tell the countertops apart, there are still differences that will help you settle on the best depending on your needs. We delve deeper into the differences and similarities to help decide which of the two countertops fits your space

The difference between Quartz and granite

  • Material

Granite is made of 100% natural stone. Granite stones are taken from the quarries and cut and smoothened to form the granite countertop.

Quartz is made of 93 % natural stone, and the rest 7 % is colors and resin to hold the particles together.

  • Maintenance

Granite is porous and needs to seal often to avoid stain and scratches

Quartz, on the other hand, doesn’t require any sealing

  • Durability

Granite has its flaws when it comes to busy kitchens. If you are looking for a countertop for a busy kitchen, then granite may not be ideal as it scratches and stains when certain substances like wine, coffee, tomato juice are poured on it

Quartz kitchen countertops are durable and less prone to stains, and it’s therefore, perfect for those hotels that are super busy kitchens

  • Eco-friendly

Granite is eco-friendlier as it emits less amount of radon and other organic gases.

Quartz has higher emission levels of radon than granite

Reasons to consider Granite

  • Granite is a pure natural stone and has unique colors which make it possible to personalize your kitchen.
  • Granite is slightly cheaper than Quartz
  • Granite countertops are durable if not subjected to heavy use.

Reason to consider Quartz

  • Quartz is more flexible than granite and is thus easier to install.
  • The non-porous nature of quartz makes it the best countertop for busy kitchens
  • Its stain resistant
  • If you don’t want to see seams, then you need to use darker quartz

What is your choice?

The kitchen countertop you choose will depend on several factors;

  • Preference

When choosing between you need to decide whether you want the unique natural stone or man-made stone. Granite countertops are more beautiful and unique as compared to quartz.

  • Purpose and ease of use

Quartz countertops will work well in the large and busy kitchen as they are easy to maintain as they don’t require sealing. Quartz countertops are easier to clean and can be used heavily. Choose one that suits the need at hand


They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.It’s important to note that you can’t go wrong with either of the two countertops as they are both durable if used in the right place. Choose the kitchen countertop that will add aesthetic value to your house and if you feel lost talk to your granite-Quartz countertop installers for expertise on each of the countertops.

Share this story!